In this article:
Global patient access or global client access unlocks the ability to assign patients to specific practitioners in a dispensary. This can be used to restrict patient profile access from all practitioners, and to generate earnings reports (patient owner compensated model) to allocate earnings to respective practitioners. Additionally, this setting has implications on the sharing of multi-patient plans with patients.
Tip! Your dispensary terminology settings determine the name of this setting in your dispensary. It may be labeled global patient access or global client access, but the functionality is the same.
When global patient access is ON:
- All practitioners can write supplement plans for all patients.
- Additional practitioners can share plans with all patients in the dispensary.
When global patient access is OFF:
- Additional practitioners can write prescriptions for patients they've added or that have been assigned to them. Dispensary owners and clerks can write prescriptions for all patients.
- Assigning patients to practitioners in the dispensary also assigns patients to practitioners in practitioner earnings reports (patient owner compensated model).
- Additional practitioners can share multi-patient plans with assigned patients.
- Imported patients are assigned to the practitioner importing the patient list. Patient lists imported by clerks are assigned to the dispensary owner (primary practitioner).
Turning global patient access on/off
Dispensary owners have control over this setting. Staff members (clerks and additional practitioners) can't modify global patient access.
Warning! Please ensure that this setting complies with the HIPAA policy of your practice.
To toggle global patient access on or off:
- Select the practitioner menu, then select Dispensary settings.
- Select Permissions.
- Under the Practitioner tab, find the Feature settings card and use the toggle to enable or disable global patient access.
- Click Save change in the confirmation window.
Tip! You can update patient access settings at any time.
Assigning patients to practitioners
With global patient access disabled, existing patients can be assigned to one or more practitioners directly from their profile. By default, patients are assigned to the practitioner who added them to the dispensary or to the practitioner the treatment plan was assigned to (if written by a clerk). Patients added via patient import are assigned to the uploading practitioner.
As part of administrative responsibilities, clerks can assign and unassign patients to practitioners in a dispensary from their profiles. However, patient imports completed by clerks will be assigned to the dispensary owner (primary practitioner). Assignments can be managed later from patient profiles.
To manage practitioner assignments in patient profiles:
- Click the Patients or Clients tab.
- Search and select a patient.
- Click the More options ( ) button.
- Click the Practitioner drop-down menu and select all practitioners that should have access to the patient. Multiple practitioners can be selected.
- Click Save patient.
Tip! Follow the same steps above to unassign practitioners from patients.